Preventing Allergies Through Cleaning
Allergy season is here! For those with allergies, going outside might be difficult but being inside doesn’t have to be!
You can reduce a good portion of allergens indoors just by keeping the space clutter free, clean and by using the proper cleaning tools.
Keeping Allergens Out Of The Bedroom
One of the most important areas of the home to try to keep allergen free is the bedroom. Since you spend about a third of your life sleeping, it’s important that you are sleeping in a clean, reduced dust environment.
Clutter is one of the biggest attractors of dust. Some bad culprits are stuffed animals, unused throw pillows and unused blankets. If your child has some favourite stuffed animals let them stay but make sure to give them a regular wash!
Another important part of keeping the bedroom allergen free is keeping up on laundry! Bedding should be washed in hot water every 1-2 weeks. And it is recommended that pillowcases are washed even more often.
Some other really important cleaning tasks to help with allergies are:
- Mopping hard floors very regularly with hot water.
- Dusting the entire house weekly.
- Vacuuming carpets weekly. – Vacuum cleaners with a HEPA filter work amazing for eliminating dust, dander and pollen.
- Vacuuming couches and other furniture. – This is especially important if you have pets! Even if pet dander isn’t the cause of allergies, dogs are great at bringing pollen and dirt inside with them.
- Steam cleaning carpets.
The Best Cleaning Tools For Reducing Allergens
- Vacuum Cleaner with a HEPA filter – Most standard vacuum cleaners will blow dust particles back into the air while you are vacuuming. But a HEPA filter can trap 99 percent of airborne particles, helping to bring you some much needed allergy relief.
- Microfiber Cloths – Microfiber cloths are made of tiny wedge shaped fibers. These small fibers grab and hold dirt and dust. Cleaning with these cloths is a great way to make sure you are trapping all the unwanted dust.
- Green Cleaning Products – Certain smells or chemicals can trigger both asthma and allergies in sensitive individuals. Using the right environmentally friendly and human friendly cleaners is important.
If you have allergies yourself it’s important to protect yourself while cleaning. Vacuuming, dusting and decluttering all stir up dust, pollen and dander, making cleaning a very allergy triggering experience. We recommend wearing a mask, having another household member clean or hiring a professional cleaning company to come in for you.
Fresh Cleaning Service offers green cleaning services and laundry services in both Alberta and Ontario.